Transport Minister The Rt Hon John Hayes MP gave a remarkable speech on 4th February 2015, setting out his agenda for Beautiful Roads in towns, villages, cities and linking roads. It was a new aesthetic vision for the strategic road network – a systematic reconsideration of road design. Mr. Hayes offered a 5 point plan.
- Every project to be rooted in its locality to enhance the natural landscape and involve local people in its planning.
- A fresh approach that ensures all involved in the contractual processes, work together to deliver the strategy.
- A new Design Panel of architects, engineers, highway authorities and construction businesses to bring together visionaries and practitioners.
- A new set of design principles which will include the objective that all we create should be a pleasure to look at.
- A fundamental shift to make Highways England (responsible for our motorways and trunk roads) an exemplar of good design.